The PBY Catalina is without a doubt one of the most famous flying boats ever
build. After its first flight in 1935 it quickly transformed into the PBY-5A
amphibian model that is best known. Despite its strange shape that is rather
organic it became a true work horse of many air forces and navies and kept
patrolling the oceans for decades. |
It had many roles, search and rescue, any
shipping or anti submarine patrols or long range reconnaissance. To this day the
Catalina is well known to millions and a guest of honor at many air shows.
Models, sound and flight behavior
- 11 different models based on the PBY-5, PBY 5A and PBY-6A
- Different flight behavior for all different models that are checked with
all available data and by current Catalina pilots. Now this is said a lot
for FS add-on aircraft, but one Catalina operator is actually using this
product for simple training in the winter when most Catalina's are hangar
- Impressive and powerful sound set, you actually will be able to tune the
engines using your ears.
- Aerosoft Sound Module that adds sound to switches, controls and events.
From hydraulic pumps to the sound of the engines problems, this creates a
far more immersive environment.
- Two different cockpits, one typical for the 1940s and 1950s and one as
many Catalina's are flown today (with modern radio and GPS equipment).
- Cowl flaps, floats and landing gear has better simulation of influence
on drag by use of additional coding
- More realistic water operation by use of additional coding.
- Manual (400+ pages) in two parts, includes full actual operational
manual of one of the few PBY-5A's flying at this moment.
Gauges and instruments
- All instruments done in full 3d.
- Highly realistic Bendix King radio stack (feel free to download the real
manuals and use those!)
- Highly realistic and complex Bendix King KLN-90B GPS receiver
- Realistic simulation of the Sperry A-3A (Jack & Heinz) Autopilot for the
- The newly developed Interactive Checklist helps you to prevent problems
by showing the correct settings with red or green checkmarks. It even
includes sound effects and allows you to configure the aircraft for take-off
or for a complete dead and cold setup.
Added realism (non standard FSX simulations)
- Non standard and far more realistic calculations of engine temperatures,
taking cowflap position, ambient air temperature, fuel/air mixtures setting,
airspeed and engine heat generation into account.
- Accurate electrical load and hydraulic pressures calculations.
- Realistic cold engine startup, requiring use of engine primers and fuel
- Realistic auto mixture that controls auto rich and auto lean.
- Realistic carburettor icing that takes moisture and carburettor air
temperature into account.
- Structural icing that will accumulate ice on the structure, adding
weight until the aircraft becomes unflyable.
- Non standard engine failure module that includes sparkplug fouling,
damage caused by excessive cylinder head or oil temperature, shock cooling
- Power reduction due to excessive carburettor air temperature.