The Douglas SBD Dauntless was easily the most famous US Navy bomber of World
War II, and possibly the most important dive bomber flown by any combatant
during World War II. At the outbreak of World War II, the Slow But Deadly
Dauntless was considered by many to be obsolete.
The Dauntless was the only US aircraft to participate in all five Naval
engagements that were fought exclusively between aircraft carriers, and despite
having been marked for retirement even before the war began, the Dauntless sunk
more enemy shipping during 1942 than all other aircraft combined.
Built only for FSX SP1, SP2 and Acceleration (no planned version for FS9), the
SBD Dauntless has a highly detailed virtual cockpit complete with 3d gauges and
authentic textures, as well as switches to arm and drop the bomb.
With animations present and correct, including the crucial tail hook for
those carrier landings. The authentic sound recordings also adds to the
immersion as you open up the throttle and watch how the self shadowing, bump
mapping and spectacular highlights bring any of the 6 carefully selected paint
schemes to life.
- Slow, powerful and delivers one hell of a punch.
- The famously rugged 1,000 horsepower Pratt & Whitney R-1820.
- As with every VertigoStudios aircraft, it is gorgeously constructed,
inside and out, down to the last rivet.
- Designed and built by the book.
- Custom cockpit systems and Tru3D gauges for the ultimate in realism
taken far beyond what is available by default.
- Animated pilot, if your banking right your pilot will look to the right.
- Lights (built directly into the model) with under-wing landing light.
- Tru3D Instrumentation.
- Sound engineered from real SBD recordings.
- In cockpit pilot's map tray for handy in-flight navigation.
- Fuel delivery system simulated.
- All models include vstudios specialized materials.
- Pilot's notes pop-up 2D panel keeps important information easily
- Tru3D gauge lighting.
- Self shadowing VC and external model.
- High res textures throughout.
- Canopy open and close animations.
- Rear canopies open and close.
- Detailed PDF manual.
- 6 Aircraft paint-schemes.
- Engine start-up and shut down procedure.
- Ability to release the payload.
- Arrest hook for carrier landings.
- Approach light for carrier landings.
- Light bloom on glass and shiny materials.
- Full lighting management.
- Detailed pilot and rear gunner.
- Intermediate flight model for book flyers
- Easy flight model for fun flyers
- Custom made effects.
- Ability to look through the bomb scope for precision bombing.